In recognition of the commitment, perseverance, and milestones achieved by The Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee, the State of Tennessee, Lewis County, and the City of Hohenwald have declared October 2015 as Elephant Awareness Month.
Governor Bill Haslam, Lewis County Mayor Bill Webb, and Hohenwald City Mayor Danny McKnight all signed official proclamations stating, "The Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee continually sets and reaches its goals, and works collaboratively to share best-practices to help improve the management, treatment, and care of elephants everywhere."
|Calendar of Events
Hohenwald / Lewis County Proclamation Signings by City Mayor Danny McKnight and County Mayor Bill Webb declaring October Elephant Awareness Month – Location Hohenwald City Hall at 11:00 a.m.
|October 9 – 10
Oktober Heritage Festival, Hohenwald, TN; Friday & Saturday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. All events are free and family friendly!
- Visit the Welcome Center for a "sneak peak" at exhibit plans for The Elephant Discovery Center!
- Help us make "Ele-Snacks!" On Friday and Saturday at 11 AM and 1 PM, visitors can help Sanctuary staff create some special treats for the elephants! (No live animals will be present at this event.)
- Elephant Poster Art Project: Lewis County Elementary School 2nd Grade Elephant Poster Art Project will be on exhibit from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
- Reception for Artists and Their Families: Participating students and their families (and friends) are invited to visit the Welcome Center for refreshments from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon on Friday and Saturday.
- Art exhibit will remain on display at the Welcome Center for the remainder of the month from the hours of 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. daily Thursdays and Fridays.
Saturday, October 10 at the Elephant Sanctuary Welcome Center, Hohenwald, TN
- Billie's 5K & Fun Run: Race starts at 8:00 a.m. Walk up registration begins at 7:00. Children 12 and under can participate in 1 mile "fun-run" free of charge.
- Help us make "Ele-Snacks:" Join Sanctuary staff at 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. making special treats for the elephants. (No live animals will be present at this event.)
- "Last Chain on Billie" Presentation: Stop by at 2:30 to learn about Billie's journey to Sanctuary and what her Sanctuary life has been like.
Saturday, October 24th, The Elephant Sanctuary Welcome Center, Hohenwald, TN
- Help us make "Hadari Snacks:" Join Sanctuary Staff at 1:00 p.m. to make some special treats for Sanctuary's newest arrival and to learn about what her life will be like in The Sanctuary. (No live animals will be present at this event.)
Saturday, October 25th, Austin, TX
- “Austin for Elephants” at Moontower, 10212 Manchaca Road, Austin, TX 78748; 3:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. -- a benefit concert and fundraiser for The Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee.
ALL MONTH LONG
- Take advantage of The Sanctuary's Elephant Awareness Month discounts on the Distance Learning Program! $50 will purchase a 45 minute program hosted by Sanctuary staff delivered virtually to your classroom. Your students will see video, photos, interact with staff and be able to see "inside" Sanctuary using our live-streaming EleCams. Contact email@example.com for more information.