The Clinical Veterinarian will provide the highest standard of veterinary care for all animals housed at The Sanctuary. Maintains clinical responsibility for aging and TB infected elephants in an integrated elephant care program. Supports humane, quality and Mission-compatible research conducted to advance knowledge of elephant health. Communicates with supporters and other relevant audiences regarding veterinary care and The Sanctuary’s mission.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Manages and supports the Sanctuary’s veterinary care and TB programs.
- Manages and provides veterinary medical treatment and preventive medical programs.
- Works with the CEO to design the Sanctuary’s veterinary care budget and manages veterinary expenses within budget.
- Ensures compliance with the requirements of USDA, TWRA and other federal and state regulatory agencies.
- Oversees the management of the laboratory and pharmacy and all clinical facilities and services.
- Ensures veterinary research is conducted to an appropriate scientific standard, serving as the liaison as required with external agencies.
- Trains caregivers in observation relevant to veterinary care.
- Ensures record keeping related to key areas is accurate and timely. Maintains detailed and accurate data related to all elephants healthcare at The Sanctuary.
- Supervises and trains veterinary support staff.
- Represents The Sanctuary in the professional community, and occasionally in the media in a well-informed, positive manner.
- Will lead emergency practice protocols.
Job Requirements and Prerequisites
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from an accredited university
- Tennessee state license to practice veterinary medicine or must obtain Tennessee license within 6 months
- DEA registration required
- Post-graduate experience with and knowledge of large animal biology and medicine, with preference given to exotic animal or elephant experience
- Knowledge of elephant management systems with ability to work in Protected Contact management system, preferred.
- Some research experience preferred.
- Must be able to stand/work for 8 hours in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to lift up to 50lbs.
- Must be able to walk several miles in hilly, rough terrain.
At-Will Employment: The State of Tennessee and The Sanctuary recognize all employment to be ‘at-will’. This means that you, the employee, as well as The Sanctuary can terminate employment at any time, with or without advance notice and with or without cause.
Equality Employment Opportunity: It is our policy to treat you and all employees equally without regard to race, color, religion, age gender, sexual orientation, national orgin, veteran status, or disability.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Drug Free Workplace: The Sanctuary is a drug, alcohol, and tobacco free workplace and prohibits all employees from using non-prescribed drugs, alcohol, or tobacco in any form while on duty.
Employees are subject to E-Verify to assure they are eligible to work in the United States.
Forward your resume and cover letter to the Human Resources Department at
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or
NO telephone calls please. All applications will be held in strict confidence.